This course is a great introduction for primary-age students aged 5 or 6. Although it will also be fun for other primary school students a few years older too.
No previous experience is required, and it takes you through everything you’ll need when first picking up your new violin and starting to explore and play. You’ll cover all the basics, and by the end of the course you’ll be able to:
- know how to hold the violin and bow
- have the fundamental skills for how to use the bow
- use your left hand to play different notes, building up to playing the D major scale
- play lots of different types of sounds (from pizzicato and bowed, to percussive sounds)
- have a go at composing your own music using the rhythm and instrumental skills you’ve learned.
This course is designed to work alongside violin lessons with Cornwall Music Service Trust teachers, and support parents and pupils with practising at home.
Your teacher for this course is Karen Frost. She has a wealth of experience as a teacher and performer, and has a particular talent for inspiring younger students to start their musical adventures on the violin.